ruby 1.8.7p299 is now rawhide build tree

Mohammed Morsi mmorsi at redhat.com
Tue Aug 10 16:49:37 UTC 2010

  On 08/01/2010 02:52 PM, Mamoru Tasaka wrote:
> <snip>
>> ===
>>
>> AFAIK all the other rpmlint warnings can be ignored. Just going through the spec file itself,
>> I'm just wondering why the complexity for the iconv stuff. Unless I missed something major,
>> I just went through the files rpmlint was stating weren't utf-8 and ran "iconv -f iso8859-1 -t utf-8"
>> on them to take care of the issue. No need for any sed'ing. Did I oversimplify the issue?
> - Actually as shown in build.log, actually some files are in EUC-JP (not ISO-8859-1) and some
>     are in ISO-8859-1.
>     - EUC-JP encoding is commonly used in (UNIX) Japanese texts (even now).
>     Unfortunately rpmlint cannot detect EUC-JP encoding (which is Japanese specific),
>     and sometimes rpmlint reports 'it is under ISO-8859-1', and sometimes rpmlint says nothing.
>
> - Some texts have 'EUC-JP' string in them, and after changing encoding, such strings
>     must also be changed
>     (On some ruby scripts this is critical because if trying to execute such scripts
>      which are converted from EUC-JP to UTF-8 but still contain "EUC-JP" string, this
>      causes some unexpected behavior)

This is good to know, thanks for the tip.

>> BTW I tested this latest RPM in a VM and am happy to say via some light surface testing:
>> rake, rack, rails, rspec, and gem work out of the box, and the puppet, rails, and deltacloud
>> test/spec suites work in the same manner as they do against 1.8.6.
> Thank you for testing. By the way, if rails 2.3.8 is ready, would you upgrade Fedora's rails
> related packages to 2.3.8 for rawhide/F-14 for now?

I just went through and cleaned up and updated the Rails 2.3.8 rpms.

I uploaded the new srpms to my blog here http://mo.morsi.org/blog/node/325

All the issues that I could find are now taken care of, and the rpms
work fine against Ruby 1.8.7 being shipped w/ F14.

I tested rails as far as creating a new project, generating a new
controller with a 'hello world' action / view, interfacing with the
sqlite3-ruby gem, and running ./script/server and verifying the results.
Everything worked as it should without errors.

If anything looks off, shout out, else it would be good to start pushing
for these to be updated in Fedora.

   -Mo