ruby-graphviz rpm vs gem

Mohammed Morsi mmorsi at redhat.com
Thu Aug 12 14:38:40 UTC 2010

  On 08/10/2010 02:11 PM, Guillermo Gómez wrote:
> I have doubt here... i guess both are different sw... but look...
>
> [1] yum install graphviz-ruby
>
> vs
>
> [2] gem install ruby-graphviz
>
> should i start packaging the 2nd, what about the first? (confused)

If I'm understanding it correctly, it seems that the upstream graphviz
source provides some wrappers for various languages, including ruby

http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/graphviz/F-13/graphviz.spec?view=markup

Where as the ruby-graphviz gem provides a pure-ruby implementation of
some of this functionality (the specifics of which I'm not sure)

http://github.com/glejeune/Ruby-Graphviz

> This appeared on adopting rubygem-state_machine (testing it):
>
> $ ruby unit/state_test.rb
> Skipping GraphViz StateMachine::State tests. `gem install ruby-graphviz`
>   >= v0.9.0 and try again.
>
> Then i tried the existing rpm [1] without luck for state_machine, the i
> tried the gem version [2], which fixes the output warning.

I imagine rubygem-state_machine depends on the ruby-graphiz modules and
api, or if it doesn't it at least has a gem dependency listed for that.

Most likely the best way to proceed is to package the
rubygem-ruby-graphviz dependency, or perhaps you can get away with
patching state_machine to work against graphviz-ruby (though this is
less desirable incase of API discrepancies).

   -Mo