Ruby 1.9.1 for Fedora

David Lutterkort lutter at redhat.com
Wed Feb 3 18:42:42 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 15:27 +0100, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> First of all, let's forget about the targetted Fedora 13 milestone; it's
> just not going to happen.

Given the state of affairs, verysensible.

> Second; ruby-shadow doesn't compile with ruby-1.9.1

I'll try and have a look if/when I get my rawhide VM working again.

> Third; The multiple ruby parallel stacks thing is throwing up a bunch of
> problems beyond what I'm capable of solving myself. I would like to
> propose that either we remove the desired feature of being able to have
> parallel stacks in the first place, or start working on it together
> (keyword: together!). If nothing else, we can always set up the ruby
> stack to allow us to add back other versions of ruby should we need to
> (and once we're able to).

As I said in the other thread, I am not sure it's a worthwhile goal. At
the very least, we'd need to understand better how many issues we'd have
with a single stack (and eventually, all packages need to be ported to
1.9, so by filing bugs about 1.9 incompatibility, we'd be doing upstream
a favor)

To ease collaboration on all this, I added a page[1] to the Wiki to
track tasks etc. It would be a great help if people added to this page
with what they see needs to be done and what they have done ;)

David

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/The_Road_to_Ruby_1.9