More passenger

David Lutterkort lutter at redhat.com
Fri Jul 23 05:35:01 UTC 2010

Hi,

intrigued (for lack of a better word) by the state of the review of
mod_passenger (BZ 470696) I spent a little time reviving Jeroen's spec
file and bringing it up to date for passenger 2.2.15. Updated spec and a
probably braindead mod_passenger.conf attached (sadly, the passenger
SRPM seems to have vanished from Jeroen's site).

As I see it, there's three issues with the spec right now:

      * the stance of upstream on using a stock boost. I think if we
        ever want to have passenger in Fedora, somebody with the spare
        time will need to browbeat^W handhold upstream to send their
        patches upstream
      * the scripts installed into /usr/bin (passenger-status etc.) are
        broken since they expect to be executed from the gemdir. We need
        to add wrapper scripts similar to what 'gem install' to /usr/bin
      * passenger is horribly broken with SELinux. I tried following the
        instructions from the Passenger manual[1] and somebody's SELinux
        policy[2] to no avail; passenger can not create its socket with
        that. Some of the instructions in [1] sound odd, like doing
        'chcon -R httpd_sys_content_t' on the gemdir

I doubt I have the time to work much more on this, thought I'll document
what I did for posterity's sake.

David

[1] http://modrails.org/documentation/Users%20guide.html
[2] http://smerpology.org/sprocket/2010/03/17/passenger-phusion-aka-mod_rails-and-selinux/