Fedora / Ruby 1.9 appliance

Mohammed Morsi mmorsi at redhat.com
Thu Jun 3 00:10:00 UTC 2010

Just figured I'd share this here incase anyone is interested but not
subscribed to Fedora Planet.

http://mo.morsi.org/blog/node/316

I just released a Fedora based virtual appliance w/ a Ruby 1.9.1 based
rpm stack. To get there I managed to get ruby-shadow to compile against
Ruby 1.9.1, released updated rubygems and rubygem-rake packages
compatible w/ Ruby 1.9 (they are just empty packages now which depend on
Ruby, as Ruby 1.9 ships w/ gem & rake), and pushed alot of updates to my
polisher and polisher-scripts projects.

http://github.com/movitto/polisher
http://github.com/movitto/polisher-scripts

All updated rpms were built in mock against the Ruby 1.9 rpm, so when
you run a ruby-gnome app for example, your running against the latest
gnome2 lib that ships w/ Fedora as well as the Ruby 1.9 libraries.

To start the appliance, simply extract the tarball and run "sudo
virt-image polisher-devel.xml". Then simply bring up virt-manager for
graphical access to the vm.

Many thanks to all on this list for all the work so far which I
leveraged to build this appliance. There is alot more todo, I want to
eventually get every Ruby project in Fedora built against 1.9.1, and try
to get a Ruby 1.8.7 appliance up and running, but this should help
anyone looking to start running software against a native Fedora/Ruby
1.9.1 stack.

Enjoy.

    -Mo