Fedora / Ruby 1.9 appliance

Mohammed Morsi mmorsi at redhat.com
Thu Jun 3 13:53:05 UTC 2010

On 06/03/2010 08:12 AM, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Mohammed Morsi wrote:
>
>> Just figured I'd share this here incase anyone is interested but not
>> subscribed to Fedora Planet.
>>
>> http://mo.morsi.org/blog/node/316
>>
>> I just released a Fedora based virtual appliance w/ a Ruby 1.9.1 based
>> rpm stack. To get there I managed to get ruby-shadow to compile against
>> Ruby 1.9.1, released updated rubygems and rubygem-rake packages
>> compatible w/ Ruby 1.9 (they are just empty packages now which depend on
>> Ruby, as Ruby 1.9 ships w/ gem&  rake), and pushed alot of updates to my
>> polisher and polisher-scripts projects.
>>
>> http://github.com/movitto/polisher
>> http://github.com/movitto/polisher-scripts
>>
>> All updated rpms were built in mock against the Ruby 1.9 rpm, so when
>> you run a ruby-gnome app for example, your running against the latest
>> gnome2 lib that ships w/ Fedora as well as the Ruby 1.9 libraries.
>>
>> To start the appliance, simply extract the tarball and run "sudo
>> virt-image polisher-devel.xml". Then simply bring up virt-manager for
>> graphical access to the vm.
>>
>> Many thanks to all on this list for all the work so far which I
>> leveraged to build this appliance. There is alot more todo, I want to
>> eventually get every Ruby project in Fedora built against 1.9.1, and try
>> to get a Ruby 1.8.7 appliance up and running, but this should help
>> anyone looking to start running software against a native Fedora/Ruby
>> 1.9.1 stack.
>>

> Can we have the sources somewhere, and would it be possible to collaborate
> through one or the other koji instance?
>
> -- Jeroen

My apologies, I didn't realize the sources weren't made available. To
find out how I built a particular project, look at the polisher-script
which should list all the sources pulled in. For example, with
ruby-shadow,
http://github.com/movitto/polisher-scripts/blob/master/projects/ruby-shadow/register.rb
I pull in the official ruby-shadow source, as well as a few patches I
wrote to get it working against Ruby 1.9.1, which I made available on my
web site

http://projects.morsi.org/polisher/sources/

Some other projects entail pulling sources from upstream, fedora cvs, as
well as my own custom patches hosted on morsi.org. The 'Ruby' project
being managed by Polisher is this way for example

http://github.com/movitto/polisher-scripts/blob/master/projects/ruby/register.rb

Hope this helps,

    -Mo