ruby 1.8.7.x for rawhide

Mamoru Tasaka mtasaka at ioa.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Fri Jun 18 16:22:19 UTC 2010

Hello, all:

Currently kanarip is working on ruby 1.9.x, trying to import ruby 1.9.x packages
into Fedora rawhide, and I fully appreciate his work.

However
- still many softwares (including packages I maintain like alexandria) don't
  support ruby 1.9.x
- when importing ruby 1.9.x into Fedora, writing packaging guidelines when using
  ruby 1.9.x is needed.
- and maybe ruby 1.9.x is enough stable, however I don't know well (kanarip?)
- and I guess currently many users 1.8.x
So I guess still ruby 1.8.x should be the main branch for F-14 (anyway kanarip
is trying to make ruby 1.9.x parallel-installable).
On the other hand, now ruby 1.8.6.x became rather old and some packages (like
rubygem-nokogiri) decided to stop supporting ruby 1.8.6.x.

So I want to update ruby to 1.8.7.x first, at least on rawhide.
Test rpms of ruby 1.8.7.x for rawhide (and for F-13) are under:

http://mtasaka.fedorapeople.org/ruby187/
(repodata also available)

I appreciate it if you would test these packages. It is expected that
people using ruby 1.8.6.x can upgrade ruby (and its subpackages) to ruby 1.8.7.x
without problems, and without compiling anything against new ruby rpms.
If these packages seem good, I would like to update rawhide ruby to 1.8.7.x
in 10 days or so.

( I think upgrading ruby in F-13 to 1.8.7.x is quite debatable, however
  it seems ruby 1.8.7.x is enough stable and our 1.8.6.x srpm has
  many backports from 1.8.7 or 1.8.x branches and updating ruby to 1.8.7.x even
  on F-13 makes it easier to maintain )
( By the way the ruby 1.8.7.x srpm I used for rawhide/F-13 also compiles
  on F-12 )

Regards,
Mamoru