Fwd: Re: ruby 1.8.7.x for rawhide

Mohammed Morsi mmorsi at redhat.com
Tue Jun 22 19:09:09 UTC 2010

On 06/22/2010 03:00 PM, Jim Meyering wrote:
> Mohammed Morsi wrote:

>>> Thanks for the new version.
>>> I too am interested in this, and based on your work, have eliminated
>>> most of the complaints from rpmlint and made a few other improvements.
>>> Here are the first few changes that affect only your spec file:
>>>
>>> summary:
>>>         remove trailing blanks
>>>         placate rpmlint
>>>         ruby_* definitions: do not use trailing slashes in directory names
>>>         _normalized_cpu: simplify definition
>>>

>> I integrated all these into the spec and bumped the version /
>> rereleased it. It can be found here
>>
>> http://mo.morsi.org/files/ruby-1.8.7.249-3.fc13.src.rpm
>>
> Thanks.
> Not new, but just to confirm...
>
> With your new path setup, I see this (from -2):
>
>      $ ruby -e 'puts $:'
>      /usr/lib64/ruby/site_ruby/1.8.7
>      /usr/lib64/ruby/site_ruby/1.8
>      /usr/lib64/ruby/site_ruby/1.8.7/x86_64-linux
>      /usr/lib64/ruby/site_ruby
>      /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8.7
>      /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8
>      /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby
>      /usr/lib64/ruby//1.8.7
>      /usr/lib64/ruby//1.8
>      /usr/lib64/ruby//1.8.7/x86_64-linux
>      /usr/lib64/ruby/
>      /usr/lib/ruby//1.8.7
>      /usr/lib/ruby//1.8
>      /usr/lib/ruby/
>      .
>
> Even removing the 1.8.7 lines, trailing slashes and s,//,/,
> I still see differences with the reference, 1.8.6 path:
>
>      /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8
>      /usr/lib64/ruby/site_ruby/1.8
>      /usr/lib64/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux
>      /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby
>      /usr/lib64/ruby/site_ruby
>      /usr/lib64/site_ruby/1.8
>      /usr/lib64/site_ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux
>      /usr/lib64/site_ruby
>      /usr/lib/ruby/1.8
>      /usr/lib64/ruby/1.8
>      /usr/lib64/ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux
>      .
>
> I.e., with your 1.8.7, we'd now search /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8 6th.
> With 1.8.6, we search it first.
>
> Is this change deliberate?

I could be wrong, but I don't think the search path order matters so
much here, since what goes into each of these dirs is pretty well
defined and disparate. So long as all the required paths are there,
whatever required modules will be loaded correctly.

If I'm wrong about this, someone please correct me. If I am, I believe
this can be easily fixed by changing the order which they are pushed
onto the include path in the ruby-1.8.7-lib-paths patch

   -Mo