Fwd: Re: ruby 1.8.7.x for rawhide

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Wed Jun 23 09:00:54 UTC 2010

Mamoru Tasaka wrote:
> I think
> %ifarch <64 bit architecture>
> <apply patches specific to 64 bit>
> %endif
> is preferable because
> - it clearly shows what special treatment should be done on x86_64 or so
> - can avoid unneeded codes in 32 bit architecture
> - and avoid to increase the size of the needed patch (or sed craft) unneededly.
> If we use %ifarch..., encoding "if name == "target_cpu"...... or so handling in
> installed codes is unneeded.
>
> Adding 32 bit <-> 64 bit handling in the installed codes is redundant unless

One more thing: have I misunderstood your comment?

My mkconfig.rb patch induces precisely the same change that
the conditional patch does.  My patch does not
"[add] 32 bit <-> 64 bit handling in the installed codes".
mkconfig.rb is used solely to create rbconfig.rb, at ruby-build-time.
mkconfig.rb is never installed.