RPM and GEMS conflict of interest

Gilles Dubreuil gil.dubreuil at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 09:05:06 UTC 2010

Hi Mamoru,

I understand this functionality I didn't know about ;-)

I also guess you're right and as long it doesn't break the gems as we
can still install multiple gems of different versions.

Don't get me wrong I reckon rpms are very powerful and made system
change management so easy.

At same time I use Ruby more and more as well as ROR and the
dependencies and I feel it's redundant. As I'm sure it also adds
overhead of building the rpm specs. So where is the line?

For instance instead of building rpm for apps which are not built as
gems (like alexandria) into gem wouldn't it be preferable to integrate
gem dependencies into rpms?

Let's say a ruby app needs gems (like alexandira) so the corresponding
rpm pack triggers "gem install" which depends initially on ruby and
rubygems packages but would also depends on other needed rpms?

This way multiple ruby-gem rpms versions would be possible.
Actually can we do multiple rpms version without conflict?

Regards,

Gil