RPM and GEMS conflict of interest

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Jun 23 09:22:23 UTC 2010

On 23/06/2010 08:36, Gilles Dubreuil wrote:
> I'm sorry if this discussion has been brought earlier but it doesn't
> make sense for me.

RPMS and Gems target very different audiences. Gem's are a very badly
thought out process to help developers get to specific code easily and
quickly across different platforms. Things get even worse when you
include components like 'bundler', and its back to 1990's with its
static linking again.

RPMS on the other hand will always give you a better, managed and
reproduceable environment. And this is across many levels, eg: I dont
want to have mysql-devel, gcc and its whole stack installed on a machine
just because i need ruby-mysql and the gem payload is native source.
Then expand that to egg's for python, pecl for php, cpan for perl etc etc.

- KB