Fwd: Re: ruby 1.8.7.x for rawhide

Mohammed Morsi mmorsi at redhat.com
Wed Jun 23 18:16:20 UTC 2010

On 06/22/2010 06:05 PM, David Lutterkort wrote:
> <snip>
> For this update, I'd much prefer if we'd keep the search path exactly
> the same as it was in 1.8.6.
>
> David

Apologize for the delay, trying to juggle several of these ruby tasks at
once (rails 2.3.8 and 3.0.0 rpms are in the works, and are almost completed)

Just uploaded a new Ruby 1.8.7 SRPM which reverts the search path to
what it was in Ruby 1.8.6.

http://mo.morsi.org/files/ruby-1.8.7.249-4.fc13.src.rpm

There is one major change, as noted before even though the Ruby 1.8.6
rpm  included /usr/lib64/site_ruby in the search path, this directory
does not exist and is not created / provided by the rpm, so I omitted
it. If there is a valid reason for its inclusion, it can be readded, but
the RPM itself should be updated to generate and own it. (Also the 1.8.7
subdirs for the parallel stacks in included, but commented out with a
note to uncomment when needed)

I didn't change the approach to the multilib patch as there doesn't seem
to yet be a consensus as the best way to conditionally apply it. I
honestly can go whichever way so long as the final solution is
understandable / standards compliant.

Finally, IMO i think we should be basing our work off my latest SRPM. I
spent a lot of time removing uneeded cruft and consolidating related
bits together, and I think it will provide the simplest way moving
forward (especially with the parallel stacks stuff)

   -Mo