ruby version

Frédéric Logier frederic at logier.org
Sun May 16 19:25:41 UTC 2010

Le dimanche 16 mai 2010 à 19:26 +0100, Karanbir Singh a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On 05/16/2010 05:38 PM, Jeremy Hinegardner wrote:
> > Personally, I think rvm itself should be packaged and shipped with Fedora
> > If no one is working on it right now, I'll put a package together in a
> > couple of weeks.
>
> Just to be clear : are  you suggesting there is a way to ship a ruby-rvm
> rpm package, and then overload that with ruby-rvm-ruby191 and
> ruby-rvm-ruby187 etc packages ? And then have these work on a system
> wide, multiuser level ?
>
> I've used rvm in the past, and based on what I've seen and used, rvm is
> used mostly to build-from-source a ruby version into your homedir. Also,
> rvm has had issues handling multilib in a sane manner.
>
> - KB
>
> PS: not sure who all are and are not on the ruby-list, so leaving all
> the CC's in place. Apologies if you get two copies.

In fact rvm download a ruby source code selected by the choice's user,
compile and install it in the user home. Gem are installed also in the
user's home and in the .rvm directory.

So when you use rvm --default ruby-1.8.7 you switch ruby version and gem
directory. Unless modify rvm deeper, I do not know how use rvm in a
system wide with multi-user account.
Maybe by using /var/lib instead of ~/.rvm and change symlink of ruby and
gem's path when root use rvm --default