Guidelines: Requires: ruby

Mamoru Tasaka mtasaka at ioa.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Thu Nov 4 09:15:20 UTC 2010

Marek Goldmann wrote, at 11/04/2010 05:04 PM +9:00:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a small question regarding Ruby guidelines in Fedora described on this page:
>
> 	http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Ruby
>
> I recently installed ruby-libguestfs package on my Fedoras (both; 13 and 14) and this package didn't pulled ruby package, although it is not usable without it.
>
> 	https://gist.github.com/659706
>
> ruby-libguestfs has only "Requires: ruby(abi) = 1.8" in spec file as described in guidelines.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Why the runtime isn't pulled? (only ruby-libs are installed – is this intentional?)

- Because
   - ruby(abi) = 1.8 is provided by ruby-libs, not by ruby and while ruby depends on ruby-libs,
     ruby-libs does not depend on ruby, and it is intentional.

> 2. Shouldn't we also add a section to that wiki page mentioning adding "Requires: ruby" to spec file?
- There can be packages which actually need ruby-libs only. So if the package
   really needs ruby package and ruby is not installed automatically by dependency
   resolver, the rpm should explicitly have "Requires: ruby", however for now
   I don't think this should be written explicitly in wiki.

> Thank you in advance for clarification!
>
> --Marek

Regards,
Mamoru