rubygem packaging

Parag N(पराग़) panemade at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 13:07:47 UTC 2011

Hi all,
     I am new to ruby package reviewing and to ruby also. I already
got some help from vondruch on rubygem packaging but I also saw some
problems which are not addressed in
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Ruby#Ruby_Gems

1) I think we need some sample rubygem spec file (which can also
include -doc subpackage)

2) I see most of rubygem packages also create -doc, but I can't find
which files should go this subpackage. I see most gem archive contains
files like README, LICENSE, Rakefile, CHANGES and directories like
tests, examples. I think it should be written on packaging page about
which package should own these files.

3) packaging page says %files should look like
%{gemdir}/gems/%{gemname}-%{version}/
%{gemdir}/cache/%{gemname}-%{version}.gem
%{gemdir}/specifications/%{gemname}-%{version}.gemspec

but most of latest submitted/accepted packages have
%dir %{geminstdir}
%{geminstdir}

4) I don't understand reason behind marking doc files as %doc whereas
I see they are not actually installed under /usr/share/doc. What I
come to know only is that one can search for documentation files using
RPM

5) gem install command is used with --rdoc in spec in latest submissions.

6) If its good practice to have %check in rubygem specs then we should
have it mentioned in packaging page.

7) Is there a case where rubygem package need to used %global macros
ruby_sitelib or ruby_sitearch? If not then we can remove those %global
lines from spec file right?

8) also saw some rubygem packages in fedora which don't have BR:ruby

9) another thing can be added to packaging page that for few rubygem
packages rpmlint is not silent with warning for generated doc as  W:
unexpanded-macro and this can be ignored.

Thanks & Regards,
Parag.