Distributing Rails 3 apps

Chris Lalancette clalance at redhat.com
Fri Aug 5 12:17:11 UTC 2011

On 08/05/11 - 01:52:36PM, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we are currently facing issues with bundler, rails3 and RPM packages. We
> distribute our project (katello / www.katello.org) and all it's
> dependencies as RPM packages.
>
> The problem is how to distribute Gemfile.lock file. We have some
> configuration commited in our git repo. I guess the best approach is to
> have the "oldest" libraries we have in our oldest distro we support
> (currently F14).
>
> But when we build RPMs for F14 and F15 these versions has obviously
> different rubygems, so the Gemfile.lock can't work for both. Users from
> our community are constantly hitting problems like "You have [gemfile]
> version XY, but I need version YZ". And we can only recommend to run
> bundle install as a workaround.

We are starting to run into exactly this same problem with Aeolus, so this
mail is very timely.  We just switched *to* Bundler, but given your experience
with it, I'm think I'm leaning in favor of 3) for Aeolus.  Like you said, for
rapid prototyping, Bundler is fine; for deployment, it seems to be a hassle.

--
Chris Lalancette