Distributing Rails 3 apps

Darryl L. Pierce dpierce at redhat.com
Fri Aug 5 15:03:51 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 04:32:04PM +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> Dne 5.8.2011 16:27, Darryl L. Pierce napsal(a):
> >>Interesting idea, but as Vita said later in the thread - RPMs are a must.
> >>
> >>Thanks for tips!
> >Sorry to come into the discussion late, but after talking with Tyler
> >this morning I'd like to participate in this (since the convergence of
> >RPM and GEM is a source of frustration for me).
> >
> >The problem I see is that RPM and GEM are not compatible enough for
> >distributing GEMs properly. Specifically, you can't install two versions
> >of an RPM (such as rubygem-rails) while GEM absolutely allows this sort
> >of side-by-side installation. The same problem exists for other
> >dependency systems such as Maven.
>
> This is not exact. RPM allows to install different versions of
> package on single system, but yum disallows it.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. So it's possible to have rubygem-rails
2.3.11 and 3.0.0 installed on a single system?

Does RPM properly handle updates to either one; i.e., 2.3.11-5 is
installed and release 2.3.11-6 is made available? Or would RPM treat
that as a third version of the RPM and install it?

And, assuming we leveraged this, how does it handle common files
between packages, such as /usr/bin/rails binary? I would think we could
solve that by using an alternatives-type of solution, at least for
binaries.

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/