Distributing Rails 3 apps

Mo Morsi mmorsi at redhat.com
Mon Aug 8 16:44:03 UTC 2011

> I guess the problem that I see is that the Gemfile.lock locks you to a
> very particular version of the gem.  In some sense this is great, as it means
> that everyone is testing on the same stack, but at the same time, it makes
> it more difficult to support the application on multiple versions of Fedora
> at the same time.  When you generate the Gemfile.lock, do you generate it on
> F-15 or F-16?  What happens when you want to put it on F-17?  What happens
> if package foo on F-15 was originally 1.0.1 (when you generated Gemfile.lock),
> but is now 1.0.2 because of a security errata?

Well in the upstream codebase we would target whichever version of the
gem the app depends on, eg 1.0.1 until we test / deploy against 1.0.2 at
which point we update the Gemfile.lock in git.

After that when submitting the package to F15, we would need to include
a patch to revert the dependency in Gemfile.lock to 1.0.1

We often patch the gem specs anyways to manipulate the dependencies to
conform to the versions in Fedora [1] [2] [3]

I agree it might just be simpler to remove bundler, though there is
value in conforming to upstream practices as much as we can. The
consensus of the Fedora/Ruby community is fine w/ me on this one.

   -Mo

[1]
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=rubygem-actionpack.git;a=blob;f=actionpack-downgrade-dependencies.patch

[2]