RPM - rubygem-rails 1:3.0.5-2.fc15 - includes changes from Rails 3.0.8

Ivan Nečas inecas at redhat.com
Thu Aug 18 11:13:25 UTC 2011

On 08/18/2011 09:55 AM, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
> On 08/17/2011 12:07 PM, Ivan Nečas wrote:
>> Do we have to count on this kind of version differences between Gems and
>> RPMs, or there was some problem in packaging?
> I guess we call this "backporting" :-)
>
> If you check the SRPM, you will find there is the patch you are
> referring to. The thing is - we (or ruby-sig in this case) backport
> important (security related etc) fixes in the released versions. In this
> case its 3.0.5.
>
> It is not possible to upgrade to 3.0.8 because Fedora 15 is considered
> as "stable". We are not rolling Gentoo :-) The only way to fix a
> particular problem is to provide a patch file in the SRPM and bump the
> epoch number (number three in this case). The gold rule is not to modify
> the source tarball. For more info see Fedora Packaging Guidelines.
>
> Do this (having yum-utils installed):
>
> $ yumdownloader --source rubygem-activesupport
>
> Unpack the SRPM (or install it) and find this file:
>
> $ md5sum cve-2011-2197-fix.patch
> 883d8eac854ded578f4d3f3e371fedc4  cve-2011-2197-fix.patch
>
> Here we go...
>
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-June/062090.html
>
> It's more Katello problem - you (we) should all develop on the very same
> rubygems as users do have. In this case you use original gem files vs
> gems from RPMs. That is the reason why you see the error in the development.

Thanks for explanation. At least I know where to look when such a
problem occurs.

Using plain old gems over RPM has some advantages:

1. Some of packages used in development (especially in early stages of
some functionality) are not packed to RPM yet. It's more effective to
try it out from gem and if we agree it's worth in, it can be packaged

2. Bundler + RVM makes it much easier to keep the development going. For
example:
"I've make some experiments using SuperAwesomeGem - check out my branch
- you will need bundle install before hacking"

3. Some of us use Mac for development - they can't use RPM

What I am trying to say is that pure gems, RVM and bundler are much more
effective for the development.

Would be possible to take it from the other end, and reflect the changes
we've made to RPM in ruby gem in our private gem source we use with
bundler, e.g.: http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/katello/gems/.
Ideally with some automated process (I think I shouldn't be hard:)

Question: do RPM for gems differ for different distribution: FC14,
FC15,  RHEL5, RHEL6?:
If they do, we could similarly keep separated gem source for every
distribution - this could help us in debugging, if we get report, that
some distro fails with our app.

What do you think about this apporach?

-- Ivan