Ruby 1.9.3 testing repository

TASAKA Mamoru mtasaka at fedoraproject.org
Mon Dec 19 16:18:48 UTC 2011

Vít Ondruch wrote, at 12/20/2011 01:06 AM +9:00:
> Dne 19.12.2011 16:51, Darryl L. Pierce napsal(a):
>>> No, sorry, I don't plan it. There is no reason except nostalgia. You
>>> can use JRuby if you really need.
>> I was thinking that, similarly to how Python 2.6 and 2.7 were handled,
>> we could have a compatibility RPM for people who depend on 1.8, such as
>> myself for my downstream projects.
>
> May be you should provide more details for what reason you cannot use
> Ruby 1.9.3 to help me understand. And believe me, we went through more
> than 320 packages in Fedora to make sure they are at least buildable with
> Ruby 1.9.3, if they had properly executed test suited, there is also high
> chance that these packages will work. There is less then 15 packages from
> the total amount which are still troubling us but these packages are
> typically obsolete anyway (take sdljava as an example).
>

> Vit

One of the biggest changes between ruby 1.8.x and ruby 1.9.x is how
ruby handles strings, in non-ascii environments.

Small  example

[tasaka1 at localhost ~]$ rpm -q ruby
ruby-1.8.7.352-3.fc17.i686
[tasaka1 at localhost ~]$ ruby -e "puts 'あいう'.size"
9

v.s.

<mock-chroot>[root at localhost /]# rpm -q ruby
ruby-1.9.3.0-2.fc17.i686
<mock-chroot>[root at localhost /]# ruby -e "puts 'あいう'.size"
3

This diffecence may not be visible in ASCII world. However when
dealing with multibyte characters this change can be impact.

Regards,
Mamoru