Ruby 1.9.3 rebuild

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Wed Dec 21 06:53:39 UTC 2011

Hi guys,
as Mamoru noted on one of my bugzillas for build failures with Ruby 1.9.3, I decided I will move all the agenda here for the time being. I have been working past two weeks on rebuild of all the Ruby/Rubygems dependent packages and got some failures. There are basically two types of problematic packages (most of the packages work ok, so we shouldn't run into any serious problems):

1) Packages that work in some way, but some tests fail - I usually reported the failures upstream or proposed the patches/fixes/pull requests.
2) Packages with C extensions/C bindings that even fail to build due to changes in the Ruby 1.9.3 C API. Unluckily, some of these are no longer maintained by upstream and we will have to decide what to do. The still maintained, I also reported upstream.

So I'm going to stop reporting this to bugzilla until we (hopefully) get a special tag in Koji, so that we can solve as many problems as we can here. The only thing we need to do here is to decide what to do with packages that don't work and their upstreams are dead/unresponsive. So for each of them, I will write a separate mail to this mailing list, including the detailed info on how it failed and my suggestion what to do with that and we may have a talk about it. For some of the packages I already created Bugzillas, so we can solve those there and not duplicate them on this list.

I hope you all like this idea and that you are ok with it.
Regards,
Bohuslav.