Packaging rack-based applications for Fedora

David Lutterkort lutter at redhat.com
Thu Feb 10 17:33:39 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 17:12 +0100, Michal Fojtik wrote:
> * Where should be these application installed?
>
> My preference is to install them inside /usr/lib or /usr/share directory.

I wouldn't do that - it's only extra work during packaging, for no added
benefit.

> * Should be they marked as a 'rubygem-*'?
>
> My opinion is *no*, because they will not provide 'gem' functionality,
> since they are not 'libraries'.

When I wrote the original ruby packaging guidelines, I could have sworn,
I put in an exception for applications that happen to be written in
Ruby; there's no good reason to call an application rubygem-app if
nobody is going to use it as a ruby library.

If users care more about the app than the fact that it's written in
ruby, it should be permissible to drop the {ruby,rubygem}-* prefixes.
And at least puppet and facter follow this pattern.

> * What if they are already packaged as 'gem', should be they installed
>    using 'gem install'?

I'd do that just to keep things simple.

David