Packaging rack-based applications for Fedora

Mamoru Tasaka mtasaka at ioa.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Tue Feb 15 11:49:31 UTC 2011

Michal Fojtik wrote, at 02/11/2011 01:12 AM +9:00:
> Hi,
>
> I want to ask if there are any policies or guidelines for packaging
> 'rack-based' (Sinatra/Rails/..) projects for Fedora.
>
> Since I started packaging Deltacloud API (Sinatra app) I got into
> situlation that I want to install it as a gem and then run it by
> 'deltacloudd' command (will basically spawn thin).
>
> * Should be they marked as a 'rubygem-*'?
>
> My opinion is *no*, because they will not provide 'gem' functionality,
> since they are not 'libraries'.

Just noting that my "rubygem based rawhide packages stats" [1] script
is assuming that these srpms are named as rubygem-foo (and the base gem file
is uploaded on rubygems.org). It is simple that
if the pkgs is created basing on gem file, we simply name it as rubygem-foo.
You can add "Provides: deltacloudd = foo" or even create empty subpackage
if you want.

[1] like:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ruby-sig/2011-February/000436.html

Regards,