Parallel installable ruby stacks

Sergio Rubio rubiojr at frameos.org
Thu Jul 28 10:09:58 UTC 2011

Hey all,

I've been working lately in ruby packages for 1.8, 1.9,REE and
Rubinius that install in parallel and a ruby-base package that
basically pulls upstream ruby package (standard fedora/RHEL ruby) and
provides a script to switch between different ruby implementations
when available.

I've also been researching the fedora project wiki but haven't found
anything related to something like this in the roadmap.

So, what do you guys think about this? is this totally insane?

There's definitely the need out there to have different ruby
implementations available (lots of ppl using RVM for this reason) or
at least give the user the choice to install any of them without
scarifying the benefits that native packages provides.

I'd love to hear what do you guys think about this stuff and I'd love
to contribute with some sort of proposal if you guys think we can
waste some cycles investigating this path.

Rgds.