Parallel installable ruby stacks

Sergio Rubio rubiojr at frameos.org
Thu Jul 28 12:00:33 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Vít Ondruch <vondruch at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hello Sergio,
>
> Any proposal like this just over-complicate things. You are looking on
> Fedora from upstream developer point of view while our users just wants
> to use software. So at the end, if your application supports Ruby which
> are shipped with Fedora, then it is enough for you and for end user.
> There is important role which is plays package maintainer, specifically
> he/she has to assure that a package is compatible with distribution and
> possibly to work on that with upstream.
>
> So tell me why you need every possible version of Ruby available in Fedora?
>
> Tell me why I, as an end user, should care if you application is running
> with Ruby 1.8, Ruby 1.9, REE, Rubinius or JRuby?
> Tell me why I, as a Fedora package, should care about my gem for more
> Ruby implementations/versions?

Yes, it's a good point, and probable makes a lot of sense from a
Fedora packager point of view.

It's also true that a lot of ops and devels out there (users, in any
case) want to use Fedora/RHEL for their stacks and want to be able to
use the ruby impl they prefer (cause provided impl is old, boring, or
whatever reason) without having to resort to compiling stuff and
manually tweaking the system.

> Neither of that make sense to me.

It's all about adding flexibility and upstream maintained ruby
packages to Fedora while trying to hide some of the complexity and
boring stuff that (some) users have to deal with when switching ruby
implementations.

Rgds.