FUDCon:Milan 2011 - Ruby SIG meeting

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Wed Sep 21 11:43:32 UTC 2011

Hello everybody,

I'd like to bring to your attention that there was proposed by Ruby SIG
meeting as part of FUDCon Milan [1]. I would like to take this meeting
as change to discuss Ruby future in Fedora. Here are few point I'd like
to discuss:

* Ruby 1.9.3 for F17. I have already pre-prepared feature page [2] for
this and I am working towards packaging Ruby 1.9.3. However, there are
several issues including
    - How to correctly name and version subpackages such as RubyGems,
RDoc, Rake, IRB
    - How to maintain updates of them late.
    - Directory structure.

* Support of gems for MRI and JRuby.
    - Is it possible to share RubyGems?
    - Is it possible to share gems?

* Support of multiple versions of gems on single installation, e.g.
Rails 2 vs Rails 3.

* Refresh of Ruby Packaging Guidelines
    - They do not always follow best practices
    - They will need to be updated because of Ruby 1.9.3

* gem2rpm future and possible extensions

This is list is not exhaustive, so please feel free to add few more
points, which you think might be interesting to discuss.

Vit

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:Milan_2011
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Ruby_1.9.3