FUDCon:Milan 2011 - Ruby SIG meeting

Mo Morsi mo at morsi.org
Wed Sep 21 19:02:10 UTC 2011

On 09/21/2011 01:51 PM, Tyler Smart wrote:
> Yes I have started a project to alleviate the pain mentioned below, and will be continuing it in my lunchtime to get a working demo.

Great! Remember the open source mantra, release early, release often [1]

I also started this project [2] a while back to help w/ the process but
don't currently have the cycles to work on it, if anyone wants to pick
it up, the code is out there!

>> Yes, yes, and more yes! :-)
>>
>> We need to automate the gem ->  rpm process, I am 100% confident that we
>> can develop tooling to do so. Will alleviate alot of the hasstle w/ Ruby
>> / Fedora integration going forward.
> The IT.rb group here in Raleigh had a design session around this very
> piece, but AFAIK has moved beyond the discussion phase.

Cool, any chance you guys could summarize meeting notes and what ya'll
are working on. I'm sure alot of us in other parts of the world would
love to help you w/ your efforts :-)

>>> I have to add few more points immediately:
>>>
>>> * Rails 3.1 for F17
>> I still would like to hold off on this, we just updated to Rails 3 and I
>> haven't seen much 3.1 adoption upstream yet. Maybe we can relook at this
>> for F18 or F19.
> This is a small part of what I mention above. One of the things we
> discussed was a complete separation of things like specific versions of
> Rails (and other gems) from version of Fedora. IOW, why should F14 be
> Rails 3.1? Why not let us run Fedora 17 with whatever version of Rails
> we choose?

Not sure if I'm following, you can always gem install any version of any
gem you choose. We are talking about the single supported stack in Fedora.

Alternatively I've run across this project [3] but have yet to mess
around with it. It might be a way to setup parallel stacks of gem rpms
for use by Fedora users.

   -Mo

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Release_early,_release_often
[2] https://github.com/movitto/polisher