ABRT for Ruby

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Mon Apr 16 19:54:57 UTC 2012

Hello,

I've put together some basic implementation of ABRT support for Ruby. It
means that whenever your application/library fails in Ruby code (note
that this does not catch segfaults), it will be easy to your users to
report such problem into Bugzilla.

Source code: https://github.com/voxik/abrt-ruby
Gem: gem install abrt

ATM, there are several ways how to test the gem:

1) "require 'abrt'" in your code, as soon as possible, but later then
rubygems if you are using Ruby 1.8.
2) If you are already using Ruby 1.9, you can add "RUBYOPT='-rabrt'"
into your environment. This assures that every time Ruby is started, the
abrt gem is activated. Unfortunately, this doesn't work with Ruby 1.8,
since RubyGems are not loaded by default and "RUBYOPT='-rubygems
-rabrt'" does not work for some reason :/

Please note that ABRT reports errors just for Ruby libraries managed by
RPM. If something appears to not work as expected, it is good to observe
/var/log/messages for more details.

In the future, I'd love to see this integrated into Ruby (probably in
F18?). I already asked upstream about possible integration [1], but if
went without response, so it seems that I will have to come with some
proposal.

I'd love to here your comments and of course your patches :)

Thank you

Vit

[1] http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/42236