ABRT for Ruby

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Tue Apr 17 18:09:13 UTC 2012

Hello Motohiro,

Dne 17.4.2012 17:58, KOSAKI Motohiro napsal(a):

> Hello,
>
> I have a question. Can we detect abrt enableness on runtime?

I am not sure what is the best way how to detect ABRT enableness, but I
can clarify it with upstream. Actually such checking is not required I
would say, because:

1) If ABRT is not enabled, the gem cannot send the report via socket.
Only record into /var/log/messages is made.
2) I would like to see Ruby in Fedora automatically to try to require
abrt.rb and fail silently if the gem is not installed.

> I mean, I want to integrate it to upstream. Ruby already has
> similar support code for Mac.

Could you please elaborate what Mac support Ruby already has?

> but I also want to fallback original behavior when a user disable abrt
> service.

The original behavior is always preserved (assuming that there is no bug
in the ABRT gem :)), i.e. the exception is written to terminal for
example. The report to ABRT is just extension.

With regards to SEGV, I believe that they are caught by ABRT anyway,
since Ruby itself is C, so they should be handled by ABRT C hook. Or are
you aware of some specific example which does not work that way?

Vit