Gemfile.lock questions

Ken Dreyer ktdreyer at ktdreyer.com
Mon Apr 23 18:18:29 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 12:02 AM, Vít Ondruch <vondruch at redhat.com> wrote:
> Note that there was already some discussion about Bundler and packaging
> guidelines [2], but at the end, we did not found sound statement how to
> handle it correctly.

Thanks very much for your email. I read over your links several times
in an attempt to wrap my mind around the Bundler concepts. I think I'm
slowly catching on :)

It sounds like most of the Bundler concepts are antithetical to RPM
packaging? For example, the way an app will try to update its own
Gemfile.lock seems messy to me. Also, there's a "bundle update"
command... but it doesn't appear to be a way to roll this update
operation back, so now Gitorious wants to update its Gemfile.lock to
the newer gem versions I've inadvertently installed. Ouch.

- Ken