packaging gem tests

Darryl L. Pierce dpierce at redhat.com
Thu Apr 26 14:27:29 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 04:49:07PM -0600, Ken Dreyer wrote:
> I'm wondering about how to handle things like the Rakefile, or /spec,
> or /test directories in rubygem packages. My inclination is to leave
> these out of the package to keep it slimmer, but I see that some
> rubygems do include them in the package (or at least the -doc
> subpackage). The example on the Ruby packaging guidelines also
> includes these in -doc.
>
> Are these files really that useful to ship to end users?

Speaking from experience, and from the feedback I've received on a
package I'm getting through review now, I'd suggest leaving things like
tests, the Rakefile, etc. out of the RPM since they're not necessary.

If you want to package them, perhaps include a -devel package that
bundles them.

If you have examples, Rdoc files, etc. then those would go into the -doc
package.

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/