Ruby 2.0 in F19

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Thu Dec 20 12:47:56 UTC 2012

Hi everybody,

According to Ruby 2.0 release schedule:

   - code freeze: 23 Dec.
   - 2.0.0-rc1 release: 1W Jan. (expected)
   - 2.0.0-rc2 release: 1W Feb. (expected)
   - 2.0.0-p0 release: 24 Feb.

the official release date is quickly approaching. Therefore, I would
like to update you about current plans for Fedora

* I am trying to closely track recent development of Ruby 2.0 and the
.spec is available in ruby-2.0 branch of dist-git repo [1].
* I started to put together pieces of feature proposal for Ruby 2.0 in
F19 [2].
* Every package which depends on Ruby will need to be rebuild. There are
several reasons:
   - The Ruby 2.0 is ABI incompatible with Ruby 1.9.3 (although it
should be source level compatible).
   - Due to better integration of JRuby into Fedora [3], we would like
to take this opportunity to restructure RubyGems folder
     layout. This should allow us to support Rubinius in the future as well.
   - I would like to get rid of ruby(abi) virtual provide, since it does
not express enough the level of compatibility
     between JRuby and MRI. There is ongoing discussion about it on
packaging list [4].

So at the beginning of January, I'd like to ask rel-eng for dedicated
build target for rebuild of Ruby packages (we will probably use this
target for JRuby build as well). Please let me know if you want to
opt-out and rebuild your packages by yourself.

Vít

[1] http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/ruby.git/tree/?id=ruby-2.0
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Ruby_2.0.0
[3] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/JRuby_1.7.1