Packaging guidelines - mandatory rebuilding gems

TASAKA Mamoru mtasaka at fedoraproject.org
Wed Feb 15 15:54:06 UTC 2012

Sorry for my late reply recently...

Vít Ondruch wrote, at 02/14/2012 06:00 PM +9:00:
> Hi,
>
> Together with FPC, we are working toward new packaging guidelines, however
> there is one sticking point I'd like to ask you. Toshio is proposing, that
> we should always repackage the gem in prep section [1]. However, I dislike this proposal [2]. What are your thoughts?
>
> Vit
>

> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Ruby#Building_gems
> [2] https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/134#comment:34

- As I wrote in the fpc ticket, I don't think repackaging gems in
   this way is supported  and IMO there is no guarantee that this way
   works at any time.

- I don't see the merit for writing
%if 0%{?fedora} >= 17
Provides: ruby(foo) = %{version}
%else
Provides: rubygem(foo) = %{version}
%endif
   For F-16 and below, ruby(foo) and rubygem(foo) is actually different.
   And chaging provides / requires on F-17 and above doesn't
   seem to have much sense.

Regards,
Mamoru