Replacing rubygem-{linecache,ruby-debug,ruby-debug-base}

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Mon Feb 27 09:02:05 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

> > > One alternative might be to update these gems to their "19"
> > > versions
> > > without name change? I don't like the idea of new review for
> > > every
> > > Ruby major version.
> > >

> > ACK, +1, please feel free to overwrite the non-19 versions with
> > their
> > 19-version version.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Jeroen van Meeuwen
> >

> Hi,
> so I requested the commit to these 3 gems, if you and Mamoru can give
> me the access, I'll gladly do that.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bohuslav "Slavek" Kabrda.

After some investigation, I found out that we should maybe not do this and create new gems:
For example, linecache and linecache19 contain linecache.rb and linecache19.rb files, so we might break things if we just replace these Gems internally in the same packages. I will try to consult with the upstream and see what I can make of it. Optimal would, of course, be to merge the two versions into one and then we could update, but I believe someone (Vit?) has already tried to persuade the upstream to do that without any luck.

--
Regards,
Bohuslav "Slavek" Kabrda.