Ruby 1.9.3 rebuild started!

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Fri Jan 20 06:55:05 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On 01/19/2012 06:39 AM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> > Hi rubyists,
> >
> > yesterday evening, we finally obtained tag/target [1] for our Ruby
> > 1.9.3 rebuild. Following that, I immediately build Ruby 1.9.3 there
> > and following with gems I own or maintain. I would like to ask you
> > support me in this effort. I'd like to see to majority of packages
> > rebuild in this tag before F17 branch, which is 7th of February
> > according to Fedora 17 release schedule [2]. We would like to
> >  merge
> > the target into the f17 target right before the branch. After this
> > milestone, we will need to do the rest, however, Bodhi will slow us
> > down.
> >
> > So here I'll try to list some tips how to proceed, although they
> > are
> > probably not exhaustive and we will try to update the how to as we
> > proceed.
> >

> > === Build ===
> > $ fedpkg build --target=f17-ruby
> >
> > Please note that we are building with special target f17-ruby and
> > that
> > we are building from master.
> >
> > === Updates needed for your package ===
> > If you wonder what you should change in your package, it is very
> > likely that you can find updated .srpm in bkabrda's repository [3]
> > as
> > well as clone of original git repo [4] if you prefer. There is also
> > list of packages with potential issues [5].
> >
> > Please note that there was done mass rebuild in mean time,
> > therefore
> > the packages needs to be updated. Pay special attention to release
> > number. I am using currently following procedure:
>
> Is there anything beyond taking the srpms in bkabrda's repo,
> verifying
> the updates, and pushing them to our fedora package repo? Would it be
> possible to host an interim yum repo containing the updated RPMS
> generated from the current SRPM set and updated as packages make
> their
> way into Fedora (possibly this could be the same as vit's 1.9.3 repo
> or
> perhaps we'd want it separate)
>
> How is it best to go about verifying these srpms and any subsequent
> updates locally? Is there a yum repo corresponding to the f17-ruby
> target?
>
>    -Mo

Hi Mo!
when getting the changes from my repo, every packager has to do few things:
- Consider upgrading package to a newer version.
- Bump release and go through the specfile to check for any other inconsistencies.
- I've rebuild around 300 packages, so I just made sure they would build, but you need to make sure that they _actually work_.

To ease your work, you can get a mock config from our koji tag like this:
koji mock-config --tag=f17-ruby --arch=x86_64 --topurl=http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/ f17-ruby
In the generated mock config, you will find a configuration of the yum repo for mock, that you can also use as a standard yum repo.

Best regards,
Bohuslav.