Ruby and Fedora 17

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Mon Jul 16 08:02:33 UTC 2012

Hi Phil,

----- Original Message -----
> Bohuslav,
>

> On Jul 16 05:39:29 UTC 2012 Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
> > On 2012-07-15 15:23, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> > > Bohuslav,

> > F16
> > new

> > > On a Fedora 17 x86_64 install:
> > >
> > >   gem list
> > >
> > > shows:
> > >
> > >   actionmailer (3.2.6)
> > >   . .
> > >
> > > but:
> > >
> > >   updateb
> > >   locate gem | grep actionmailer
> > >
> > > show nothing?
> > >
> > > What gives?
> >
> > Hi Phil,
> > I can't find a way to reproduce the issue. I tried installing the
> > gem
> > both with "gem install" and "sudo gem install" and both locations
> > are
> > found with "locate gem | grep actionmailer".
> > Could you please provide more specific info:
> > - How did you install the gem? (with or without sudo)
> > - Was the installation successful?
> > - Is the actionmailer-3.2.6 directory located under
> > "/usr/local/share/gems/gems" or
> > "/home/<yourusername>/.gem/ruby/1.9.1/gems"?
>

> I think I found this after I had done:
>
>    yum install rubygems
>
> - would that allow "gem list" to show "actionmailer" ?

If you have installed Ruby from Fedora, the Rubygems must have been installed too, so doing "yum install rubygems" probably did nothing.
"gem list" command is the standard way to find what gems you have installed on your system. Actually I am not sure about the "updatedb/locate" stuff, I'm not familiar with it very much.
Could you please answer all the questions from my previous email? Also, was this a fresh Fedora 17 install or an upgrade from an older Fedora?

Thanks,
Slavek.

--
Regards,