New guidelines discussion on next FPC meeting

Mo Morsi mmorsi at redhat.com
Tue Mar 27 17:01:16 UTC 2012

On 03/27/2012 03:14 AM, Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
> One more email from me:
> I don't know if you have been following the discussion about the new Ruby Guidelines at the fpc ticket [1] or at the packaging list (mainly, see last 3 comments, which summarize current state), but this week (wednesday, 17:00 UTC), the fpc is going to finish the draft, vote on it and close it. Please, if anyone of you has something to add, write it to the ticket or come to the meeting, I myself am going to be there to discuss the remaining things.
> This is really the last chance to alter something, so I would highly appreciate if more of us could come to the meeting or at least support our opinions at the ticket.
> We've been trying hard to carry through as much of our draft as we could, together with Vit (who is now enjoying a well deserved vacation). I hope you will find our opinions on the fpc changes reasonable and will support us. (And if you don't find our opinions reasonable, there is still time to say so, at least.)
>
> Thanks a lot!

Hey guys really appreciate the hard effort. Will try to make the FPC
meeting (this is on #fedora-meeting-1 right).

Just glancing over the new guidelines real quick, overall they look
good, but the extended bits to build gems does look like its going to be
a PITA. I understand the reasoning behind it, but seems to add alot of
overhead (and reading your last comment on the trac issue, will there be
situations when it doesn't work?). Also would like to discuss some of
the other bits such as all rubygems providing ruby(libraryname) and the
bits about interpreter independence.

The trac issue / email threads have gotten pretty long, am hoping the
irc convo tomorrow will be a little easier to follow. In any case, take
care.

  -Mo