Anyone working on Rails 3.2.3 rpms?

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Mon May 14 05:34:18 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> Dne 11.5.2012 15:30, Emanuel Rietveld napsal(a):
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm getting ready to start working on Rails 3.2.3 for F18 (maybe)
> > and
> > EPEL 6 (for sure).
> >
> > Just wondering if anybody has already tried to package it and found
> > any gotchas you could make me aware of. Maybe we can share work.
> >
> > Emanuel
>
> Hi,
>
> There are several dependencies of Rails 3.2 already submitted for
> review:
>
> 738746 - rubygem-coffee-script-source
> 738744 - rubygem-execjs
> 738742 - rubygem-coffee-script
>
> Bohuslav Kabrda has prepared also other needed SRPMs as far as I
> know.
> So the stalled reviews is the biggest issue ATM I would say.

Yep, tried to package, no real problems. There were few issues I ran into from the packaging point of view:
- Choosing a proper JavaScript runtime - all the ones provided as gems do lots of bundling, so they are not ideal. Fortunately, there is a "js" package (mozilla spidermonkey), that is already packaged in Fedora and can be used, so we can go with it (maybe we could make it a hard dependency of Rails until we provide some other engines that users can choose from?).
- Another thing we should probably think of are "asset" dependencies (jquery-rails, coffee-rails, sass-rails), that should be added as Rails dependencies, because they are in the default Gemfile of new rails applications.
- Last problem that I ran into is, that bundler by default installs newest versions of all gems when creating a new Rails application. Therefore I applied a patch (attached) to Railties, that prevent this by only searching local gems.