RubyGems changes to accomodate multiple ruby implementations

Charles Oliver Nutter headius at headius.com
Tue Nov 20 10:31:09 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Bohuslav Kabrda <bkabrda at redhat.com> wrote:
> There is a small regression hidden in this: The gems installed with "sudo gem install" currently place their extensions under /usr/local/lib64/gems/exts, which would also change to /usr/local/lib64/gems/ruby, causing these gems to need reinstallation if my changes are applied, but I don't think this should keep us from doing this transition.

I don't think anything can keep you from doing this transition, since
exts will never be portable across 32/64 or MRI/Rubinius or
1.8/1.9/2.0 C API...it kinda just has to happen if there's going to be
support for multiple installed Rubies on a single system.

I did not see you mention different locations for 1.8 versus 1.9
versus 2.0 exts...they are also not generally portable.

- Charlie