RubyGems changes to accomodate multiple ruby implementations

Charles Oliver Nutter headius at headius.com
Mon Nov 26 20:37:30 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Vít Ondruch <vondruch at redhat.com> wrote:
> Dne 20.11.2012 11:31, Charles Oliver Nutter napsal(a):
>> I did not see you mention different locations for 1.8 versus 1.9
>> versus 2.0 exts...they are also not generally portable.
>

> We do not plan to support multiple MRI versions. So there is no need for
> that.
>
> However, this might or might not come into play for Rubinius. But if that
> will be needed, the gems should go into
> /usr/lib[64]/gems/rubinius/{1.8,1.9,2.0} probably. In that case the line [1]
> will need some additional tweaks. But the important is that the rest of gems
> will stay untouched.

In the Rubinius case, the 2.0 release (still in development) will
support both 1.8 mode and 1.9 mode (unless they change their minds)
and possibly 2.0 mode. All of these have incompatible ABIs so they
would need to be installed in different locations.

JRuby's Java ext ABI/API does not change from 1.8 to 1.9 mode, but may
change over time. We already have to deal with that with upstream gem
authors today.

- Charlie