JRuby 1.7.0 progress

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Mon Oct 8 15:46:45 UTC 2012

Hi Slavek!

Great effort, although I did not have a chance to test your packages
yet, since I am busy with getting Rubinius in shape ;)

My general interest are the naming conventions. It seems that you are
going to use
* "j" prefix, such as jgem or %{jgem_extdir}
* -java suffix, for jruby subpackage
* jruby subdirectory for extensions

But I would suggest to always use suffix instead and for consistency, I
vote for "{-,_}jruby". E.g. you would get gem-jruby,
%{gem_extdir_jruby}, json-jruby and finally %{_datadir}/gems/jruby. Note
that I am afraid that the -java suffix becomes problematic in case, when
one day there will be introduced other alternative implementation of
Ruby in Java

For Rubinius, we would go either with -rubinius suffix, or -rbx, which
is shorter. However, there might be some complications with
%{gem_extdir_rubinius}, since ATM, it seems that binary extensions
compatible with Rubiniuses 1.8 mode are not compatible with Rubiniuses
1.9 mode (but I hope I am wrong).

And one more comment about the jgem. I am asking myself if that is good
idea to provide such jruby specific executables (although jgem might be
good candidate for exception), since it would imply that every gem has
to have its executable for different Ruby implementations etc. However,
I believe, that user is not interested which interpreted is used to
execute his program, as long as he gets the result. Therefore, the
distinction between gem and jgem is just implementation detail IMO and
should not be exposed, (but I might be proven wrong ;).

Vit