JRuby 1.7 and Fedora

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Wed Sep 12 07:27:32 UTC 2012

Dne 12.9.2012 03:02, Charles Oliver Nutter napsal(a):
>> - Figure out the packaging changes around it:
>> -- Naming Gems that are only for JRuby
> Any gem that's -java platform will only work on JRuby. There may be
> non -java platform gems that use JRuby-specific features (like Java
> integration) too, however.

This was more or less about conventions for package naming in Fedora, I
guess.

Currently, every rubygem has the rubygem- prefix, e.g. for nokogiri, the
rubygem-nokogiri is the name of gem in Fedora. However, if we are going
to support more Ruby implementations, we will need to ship the versions
for MRI and JRuby and may be others. This means that (unless we decide
to keep everything in one package) we need to distinguish between
packages which are for MRI and packages for JRuby. There also might be
packages, which are useful just for JRuby.

I think, that for the platform specific bits, we should use subpackages
and somehow follow the RubyGems conventions, i.e. use -java for JRuby
packages. This is clear. Unfortunately, I am not sure how to distinguish
between C extensions for MRI and Rubinius for example (neither I really
explored, what are the possibilities, but I am afraid, that it will not
be that easy :/).

Vit