JRuby 1.7 and Fedora

Charles Oliver Nutter headius at headius.com
Wed Sep 12 07:54:07 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 2:27 AM, Vít Ondruch <vondruch at redhat.com> wrote:
> I think, that for the platform specific bits, we should use subpackages and
> somehow follow the RubyGems conventions, i.e. use -java for JRuby packages.
> This is clear. Unfortunately, I am not sure how to distinguish between C
> extensions for MRI and Rubinius for example (neither I really explored, what
> are the possibilities, but I am afraid, that it will not be that easy :/).

My understanding is that the *sources* of the extensions should be the
same for both MRI and Rubinius, but the *binaries* are definitely
different. For example, a number of things MRI defines as macros
directly into MRI-specific struct layout are actually functions in
Rubinius...so an extension build for one definitely will not work on
the other.

- Charlie