Ruby-SIG meeting at FUDCon Paris 2012?

Mo Morsi mmorsi at redhat.com
Fri Sep 21 13:54:19 UTC 2012

On 09/20/2012 04:59 AM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just a reminder, since FUDCon Paris is approaching. Any topic for
> discussion? Any Rubyist who will join us?
>

> Vit

Hey not gonna be in attendance myself, but he's just a bunch of random
ideas:

- packaging hackfest: getting the jruby 1.7 stuff bohuslav was
discussing into a testable state, getting a group to package different
popular rubygems that aren't in Fedora or committed to clearing out the
rubygem package review queue in bugzilla, etc

- testing / reviewing hackfest: perhaps yum repos could be setup
beforehand w/ the latest jruby, ruby 2.0, etc and people could try
redmine, rails, aeolus/deltacloud, and other apps against them / filing
bugs as appropriate

- better tooling: gem2rpm, the isitfedoraruby site, etc could be
improved ; we could write more tools / improve the migration and user
experience

- isitfedoraruby: particularily stands out for me :-) various ways to
visualize the gem / rpm relationships, and link more data sources in
(koji builds, bugzilla bugs, git & bodhi updates, etc), more plugins

- workshops: how to package a gem from rubygems, easiest way to start a
rails project on fedora, how to consume fedora services from ruby
(perhaps some nice ruby wrappers can be written around the Fedora REST
and AMQP apis)

Perhaps accompanying all of this, we could coordinate a social media
blitz, promoting the meetup via twitter, blog posts, and so on and so
forth to try and gain some traction and grow interest. Just food for
thought.

  -Mo