any hope for logstash?

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Thu Apr 4 10:28:14 UTC 2013

Hi Carl,

Dne 3.4.2013 22:34, Carl Byington napsal(a):

> I am working on packaging logstash for fedora
>
> http://www.logstash.net/
>
> but the build procedure described here
>
> https://github.com/logstash/logstash/wiki/
> Building-and-running-logstash-from-source

Is the wiki up-to-date? They refer to "make gem" but I can't see the
target in Makefile.

> seems to be incompatible with Fedora packaging. Is there some other ruby
> package that I can use as a model for proper fedora packaging?

I doubt there is any reasonable precedent.

> I am not at all familiar with building/packaging java or ruby programs.
> I normally work on C++ w/ autoconf.
>
> https://nodeload.github.com/logstash/logstash/tar.gz/v1.1.9
>
> The internal Makefile there runs curl/wget to download more source code,
> which seems to terribly violate any reasonable packaging system. At a
> minimum, we need to collect all the source code into SOURCEx lines in a
> .spec file.
>
> For Fedora, do we need to separately package elastic search and
> graphtastic, or can we bundle them into this package?

No, we definitely cannot bundle anything.

> Oh my, that Makefile downloads a prebuilt graphtastic .jar file, so we
> will also need to fetch and build that package from source.

The best would be, if you could prepare basic .spec file, which might
even download stuff from internet and we could remove, step-by-step, the
bundled stuff. We need to start from somewhere anyway ;) At the end, it
would be best if we can end up with gem for JRuby, which depends on
stuff such as elasticsearch.

BTW, we used to think that for JRuby, we introduce macros such as [1],
but they seems clumsy, so we did not implemented them yet, but we should
work them out definitely.

Vít

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Bkabrda/Packaging_Ruby_JRuby#Macros