Rails 4 update and dependent packages (aoelus, mongoid, openshift)

Josef Stribny jstribny at redhat.com
Mon Aug 5 12:03:13 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I hope I finished listing all dependencies on Rails 4.0 in our feature page[1]. If you spot something missing, please let me know.
As you can see, some updates should be trivial, but some cannot be made at the moment:

* There are several packages, which depends on Ruby on Rails framework. All need to be tested an updated. These needs to be surely updated:
** rubygem-cucumber-rails (loosen the dep should be enough)
** rubygem-haml-rails to 0.4
** rubygem-simple_form to 3.0.0rc
** rubygem-delayed_job to 3.1.4
** rubygem-rubigen might need update (stated deps are ok though)
** rubygem-paranoia might need update (stated deps are ok though)

* Following gems don't support Rails 4.0 right now and would be broken by the update:
** openshift-origin-broker and any of rubygem-openshift-origin* gems might need to be updated and tested against Rails 4.0
** rubygem-aeolus* packages
*** upstream no longer maintains the project
** rubygem-audited-activerecord
** rubygem-mongoid (mongoid 4.0 is blocked by 10gen Ruby driver)
*** https://github.com/mongoid/mongoid/issues/3128

As for the Rails' dependencies, we have them all covered by now. JBuilder and sdoc are waiting to be reviewed.

So to say, we would have to wait quite some time for mongoid, aeolus is not going to be updated and OpenShift is slowly starting (hopefully) to support Rails 4.0.
The question is: when should we do the update? I would like to see Rails 4.0 in F20, but I am not sure if all the deps can be there at the same time.

Josef

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Ruby_on_Rails_4.0