Rubygem RPMs and "yum update"

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Tue Jan 1 16:38:11 UTC 2013

People,

I have just upgraded to Fedora 18 x86_64 and installed all the
Ruby/Rails RPMs but I notice when I create a test rails app and then add
something to Gemfile and do "bundle install", the system starts pulling
in all the native Gems - I would like to stick to just using RPMs - so I
presume "bundle install" does not get used in the change to the RPM
environment? (ie I should manually install the missing gem RPMs).

Also, I presume one has to be careful about doing a system-wide update
of RPMs with "yum update" in case updated Gems break stuff specified in
Gemfile.lock?

Thanks,

Phil.

--