Rubygem RPMs and "yum update"

Michal Fojtik mfojtik at redhat.com
Wed Jan 2 11:02:22 UTC 2013

On 01/02, Mo Morsi wrote:
> On 01/02/2013 03:45 AM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> > Hi Philip,
> >
> > Dne 1.1.2013 17:38, Philip Rhoades napsal(a):
> >> People,
> >>
> >> I have just upgraded to Fedora 18 x86_64 and installed all the
> >> Ruby/Rails RPMs but I notice when I create a test rails app and then
> >> add something to Gemfile and do "bundle install", the system starts
> >> pulling in all the native Gems - I would like to stick to just using
> >> RPMs
>
> +1. I've been noticing more projects excluding the Gemfile.lock
> alltogether in their source repos, and hope this trend continues.
>

> > You could try the '--local', which should prefer already installed gems.
> >
> >> - so I presume "bundle install" does not get used in the change to
> >> the RPM environment? (ie I should manually install the missing gem
> >> RPMs).
> >
> > I am not aware of any better way how to do it. But may be somebody
> > from Aeolus or Katello could provide more information, since they are
> > using similar workflow, i.e. they are developing with RPM gems.
>
> Jayg (cc'd) wrote bundler_ext [1]  (on rubygems here [2]) which is an
> extension to bundler to use dependencies that have been installed using
> the native system tooling (yum / apt-get / etc)

+1 I like this approach :-)

> AFAIK it doesn't install missing packages using yum / apt-get, but
> perhaps that could be added (though I'd refer to jay for more info)
>

> >> Also, I presume one has to be careful about doing a system-wide
> >> update of RPMs with "yum update" in case updated Gems break stuff
> >> specified in Gemfile.lock?
> >
> > Once you have everything installed, the 'bundle install --local'
> > should update your Gemfile.lock just fine.
> >
> > Actually, is there reason to use Gemfile and Bundler at all? I would
> > say that the Rails application will work without it just fine.

Don't forget about the poor developers with other OS than Fedora :-)

I would be personally very careful with all changes that breaks the way
how Ruby developers are used to work, otherwise you can scare off potential
contributors to the Ruby projects you mentioned in your email.

  -- Michal

--
Michal Fojtik <mfojtik at redhat.com>
Deltacloud API, CloudForms