Ruby 2.0 and JRuby features for F19 + packaging guidelines change

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Tue Jan 22 12:21:49 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> Hi rubyists,
>
> Today, we proposed new features for F19:
>
> Ruby 2.0.0: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Ruby_2.0.0
> JRuby 1.7: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/JRuby_1.7
>
> These will be accompanied by small changes to packaging guidelines
> [1]
> if approved by FPC [2].
>
> Note, that we are still planning to introduce rubypick [3] (formerly
> know as multiruby), to ease selection of alternative Ruby
> implementations.
>

> Any feedback welcomed. Thanks.
>

> Vít
>

> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Ruby
> [2] https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/242
> [3] https://github.com/bkabrda/rubypick

Just FYI, I have implemented choosing runtime into rubypick by using env variable. You will be able to use one of these:
RUBYPICK=_mri_ ruby # runs MRI interpreter
RUBYPICK=_jruby_ gem # runs gem in jruby
Of course you can also "export RUBYPICK=_jruby_" and just work with JRuby.

--
Regards,
Bohuslav "Slavek" Kabrda.