Bringing GitLab in Fedora

Axilleas Pipinellis axilleas at archlinux.gr
Sat Mar 2 01:49:31 UTC 2013

Hello dear list!

I am applying for this year's GSOC [0] and I would like to contribute by
bringing GitLab [1][2] in Fedora. For those that don't already know
GitLab, it is a Self hosted Git management software written on Ruby on
Rails, pretty much like github's interface (you can try a demo here [3]).

It is a ruby app with lots of dependencies and I think this is a great
opportunity to extend the list of packaged gems supported by Fedora. Let
alone the fact that with the momentum GitLab has gained (it is in the
top 50 most popular open source projects on github) it would be an asset
if Fedora had this packaged. Also, the core developer was more than
willing to help with the process [4].

I could use any help needed on packaging. I have already exchanged a
couple of mails with Vit Ondruch and he pointed me to a direction. In
fact I am in the middle of reading all the related stuff from the wiki.

So what are your thoughts? Any guidance, ideas or insights are very much
appreciated!

Regards,

Axilleas

PS. There is also the thought of deploying GitLab to git repositories on
fedorahosted.org, but that's irrelevant to this list.

[0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GSOC_2013
[1] http://gitlab.org
[2] https://github.com/gitlabhq/gitlabhq
[3] http://demo.gitlabhq.com/